Change of Ownership on a Vehicle

Change of Ownership on a Vehicle

Do you know what is required for a change of ownership of a vehicle? Do you know that you can now get all the forms online?

As per the South African government website these are the steps:

  1. Go to your nearest registering authority. If you use Leavit2Me we can do this for you!
  2. If you are changing your address, you must take along the following:
    • A copy of your identity (ID) document if you are a South African citizen. If you are a foreign citizen, you must bring both the original and certified copy of your ID issued by your country of origin and your temporary residence permit.
    • Proof of the new residential address.
  3. If you are a South African citizen, you must complete and submit form NCP only. If you are a foreign citizen, you must complete the NCP form and the Notice in respect of traffic register number (ANR) form.
  4. If you are selling the vehicle:
    • The seller must complete the NCO form and submit it to their registering authority.
    • The seller must hand over the registration certificate to the buyer.
    • The buyer must complete the Application for registration and licencing of motor vehicle form (RLV) for submission.
    • The buyer must submit the vehicle registration certificate, if the vehicle was registered in South Africa
  5. Provide a mass measuring certificate if the vehicle’s tare was changed.
  6. The buyer of the vehicle must submit the forms at the registering authority within 21 days of buying the vehicle, along with the registration form obtained from the seller and the vehicle must go for a  roadworthy test again (it is the responsibility of the buyer to ensure that the vehicle is roadworthy). Leavit2Me can submit these documents on your behalf. 
  7. If the vehicle is registered under a company, you must also submit a certificate of incorporation or name change as issued in terms of the Companies Act or a founding statement. Leavit2Me can have these copies certified, or collect them on your behalf. 
  8. The registering authority assesses your application and you must pay the fees as prescribed by your province.
  9. If required by the registering authority you will have to provide proof of the right to be registered as the titleholder of the motor vehicle concerned, e.g. an invoice or a sales agreement. If  you do not have that,  phone your nearest call centre or registering authority to establish whether they accept or require any other document as proof.

If you are transferring ownership of a Deceased Estate you will also require certified copies of the Letter of Executorship as well as certified copies of the Death Certificate.

Remember that Leavit2Me is only a phone call away for all those tasks that take you away from the things that add value to your life.

** Please note that the forms are linked to the eNATIS website and I have checked with multiple offices that you can now use the downloaded forms. They do not have to be colour coded as they are at the offices.

Leave a Comment

Stay connected with us in your favorite flavor!

Errand Services in Durban Errand Services in Johannesburg Stand in the ques services Pay my bills Plan my trip Concierge Services in Durban, Johannesburg and Capetown